Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Not a runner

Several friends (some that I did not realize were reading the blog) have asked me how that running/fitness goal is working out for me.  Well........not exactly the way I had planned.  I have given up my Couch to 5K class with the realization that some people are just not born to run.  If I were a gazelle, I would be the chubby, slow one that is doomed to serve as Thanksgiving dinner for the lion family.  Someone has to do it, right?  And I saved the other faster members of my family to run another day. (Positive spin on survival of the fittest!)   So if you happen to ever see me running, I advise you to run in the same direction as I am because there must be something large and carnivorous chasing me....I'll distract it for you.  Just say nice things about me at the memorial service.
I am still working on my fitness...just not running.  I work out at the Y several times a week (alone now that Strength Coach Son has become Engineer Canadian Son) and once a week, I time myself on a 5K on the treadmill.  I am not a coffee drinker unless it is seriously girly coffee and it is pumpkin spice latte and gingerbread latte season.  These hot mugs of deliciousness are loaded with calories so I just cannot let myself enjoy them as often as I would like.  So let's tie that craving to my fitness goals.  If I am able to beat my time in my weekly 5K from the previous week, I treat myself to Seattle's Best on the way home from the Y.  (FYI...the caramel pretzel is not as good as I had hoped...unless you like chunks of soggy pretzels with your coffee.)  I faithfully keep track of my time on the note feature of my phone.
Today was my 5K day.  It's been two weeks since my last timed session and I was fairly certain that I remembered the time to beat.  Picture me walking briskly on the treadmill, silently (I hope silently) singing along with my favorite walking tunes, keeping an eye on the time elapsing.  OH NO....I have slipped behind the goal time (as I remembered  it)...crank up the speed and walk a little faster.  OH NO...my coffee is slipping away....crank up the speed again and find a more peppy tune.  OH NO...this will be the worst time ever...crank up the speed and hold onto the hand rails.....Done.  Hmmm...I'm not sure.  Maybe I did better my time.  I'll look after my cool down.
Finally it is over.  The 5K is completed along with the 5 minute cool down.  I did not collapse but it sure seemed hot in there today.  Check the note feature....OMG...my best time ever.  I dropped almost 2 minutes!!!  And all because I could not remember the time to beat.  (Maybe losing those memory skills is a good thing.)  I can have my girly coffee!!!
 But OH NO...on the downside, I have to beat this new time next week.  I think I'd better enjoy this coffee.  I might be the last one for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment