Tuesday, September 3, 2013

A Medical Miracle


John and I witnessed a medical miracle over the weekend.  Two weeks ago my friend, Sue, received a  liver transplant that was over a year in coming.  When I last saw her in mid-July, she was not in the best of shape.  Her feet and legs had swollen to the point where she could no longer walk.  Some mild seizures had left her with speech similar to that of a stroke victim. She was very quiet and tired easily.
 When we received word that a liver was available, I wanted to rush to the hospital to sit with her husband, Chris, but decided to wait until things had settled down.  On Saturday afternoon, Sue called me.  I had not heard her voice on the phone in months and here she was, calling me to see when I was coming to see her!  John and I drove over to Dallas on Sunday not really knowing what to expect.  What we found was nothing short of a miracle to us....Sue sitting up in bed, drinking a Coke.  The swelling has gone down totally in her legs and she is now walking in the hallway with a walker. She is talking non-stop and that dry, witty sense of humor is back.  We had a terrific visit and she called yesterday to make sure that I was coming back this week.
Many, many prayers were offered for Sue's successful surgery and more are needed to insure a complete recovery but oh....what a miracle this transplant has been!
Many of you do not know Sue but many of you are owners of her works of art.  Sue is a professional machine quilter and we have worked for many years.  If I have made a quilt for you in the past ten years, it was probably quilted by Sue.  There are many excellent professional quilters in the area but none can match Sue when it comes to free motion quilting.  She hasn't been able to work for almost a year now but I can see that, with prayers, hard work and continuing medical miracles, she will be back at her Gammill much sooner than I ever hoped.
She gave me some wise advice on Sunday.  We were discussing what I should do during my retirement and Sue said, "Do what makes you happy.  You never know when you might wake up one morning and not be able to do the one thing that brings you joy."
So if you are so inclined, please take a minute and say a prayer that this amazingly talented and wise woman will recover sufficiently to return to doing the thing that brings her joy. As for me, I intend to follow Sue's advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment